Monday, August 24, 2026

A Silent Retreat?? If Only!

Peach Fest 2026 done and dusted. 

6 1/2 pints of jelly and 6 pints of canned peaches for me.
I didn't buy the peaches, so I didn't get to take home much -- that's fair.
There were also some errors that ruined about a 1/3 of the peaches.


Worth it?
Not from the end product, but the "kitchen camaraderie" of teamwork, good conversation, easy laughs -- it was a great experience. Would I do it again? Maybe, with some caveats. I learned what I wanted to learn too so look out for Pickle Fest 2027. SMALL batch canning ONLY.

Fruit canning is way, way too much sugar. Maybe I can find a low sugar jam recipe to try. 
Do I have the canning bug? Maybe, just a little. I'd like to play around with it a bit for other things next year. 






Yesterday wasn't exactly a recovery day, but it wasn't 12 hours of canning!

Worked a couple of hours in the garden. It needed a good clean up -- fall planting this weekend. Met neighbors who were walking by and we had a really nice garden conversation. 

Then off for hot wheels play with my grandson. Brought over some homemade banana bread because why not bake something with all my free time lol. It was gone in minutes -- family favorite.

Spent the afternoon in my closet on the first phase of organizing. It's coming together. I'll work on it a little each day this week. I already have a bench full of targeted donations which means a few errands today. The final phase (down the road), will be a detailed purge. I'm only donating the obvious in this phase. Detailed purging requires trying on, thinking, holding, THEN donating. 

(Useless fact about me, returns and donations bother me to no end -- must do both ASAP.)

And now ...
Hello, Monday. 

I have an opportunity to have a clean-slate Monday and I'm taking it. Hubby leaves in a couple of hours for his flight. I'm SLOW, SLOW rolling the morning. I don't need to garden and my workout is indoors so I can putz around all morning.

Doesn't mean do nothing. Quite the opposite. I have so many little ME things I want to do. Some chores, some quiet pleasures. Everything will feel good taken slowly and quietly. The goal today is all little things done mostly in SILENCE that will set up my week well. By silence, I mean NOT TALKING. I'm so talked out. Music, podcasts -- listening is fair game.

I protected calendar space this week too even though it means not seeing a few people for a couple of weeks. Even though the opportunities were fun things. I MUST get better about this balance. I'm still working on what's what for the rest of the week. Trusting myself to make decisions as the day comes. We'll see how it goes lol.



Found this oldie picture on my phone. Oh, how I miss these days of "normal" government. 

P.S. I'm being drawn to cut and darken my hair. I'm not sure it's a "now" thing, but all FS visualization is pointing toward shorter hair. Sort of like this -- maybe more curly and wild and a little longer. I have curly hair that I straighten. 






Okay, off for my only chat today to see hubby off. Then the silent retreat begins. Not really, but that does sound nice. 

Have a good start to the week. Later gators. 

No comments:

Post a Comment