Qualifier hike this morning and I'm oddly nervous.
I've hiked this hike many, many times and I've always made time with the club.
And, it will extra feel hard because I'm not in my best hiking shape.
And, my foot hurts.
So, I'm a little concerned I won't make the time.
But, still, why nerves?
If I don't, then I just hike it again.
Maybe the adrenaline will help the hike feel easier hah!
Picked up our grandson yesterday from school and it looks like he has hand/foot/mouth. He started acting like he didn't feel well 15 minutes before his parents picked him up on Sunday (so odd and out-of-the-blue). Then he threw up that evening and wasn't himself. They kept him home on Monday and he was still fussy. As soon as I saw him, I knew he wasn't well. Parents kept saying the weekend wore him out and he needed to "recover." We played ALL day, but it wasn't out of his norm.
Called my son and we took him home instead of our house.
Bummed he's sick.
Bummed we had such exposure.
Feel vindicated that we didn't overwhelm him!!!
(They weren't accusing, but I felt like we were responsible somehow.)
The book I finished yesterday was such a fun read. It had the flavor of Gone Girl. The ending was great. It would make a perfect plane read.
I started another book, got halfway and DNF. It wasn't at all as advertised and it was so depressing. Googled the ending and called it (and based on the summary, very glad I stopped reading). New pick tonight.
Bookclub is back on Saturday and I wonder if this is the last bookclub. We're back to it hanging on by the most delicate thread.
Put out reminder and people dropped. We post on our FB page and we text with the group of usual people since most of us aren't FB regulars. Three of the people on the text thread haven't responded to the original message or the reminder. Seriously?
If we have dismal attendance (i.e. just me and one person again), I'm going to suggest it's finished. Maybe one last gathering to say good-bye and end well.
This time I followed my quiet boundary. Virtually no work. We're meeting a block from my house at a coffee shop and maybe heading to the cafe behind it for lunch. Easy peasy. If no one shows up, I'll go and grab a coffee, read a book, and be done with organizing (no snark, but knowing when to end is a skill I'm trying to hone).
That said, I didn't start this bookclub, so technically I can't end it, but I can stop organizing it -- that will end it.
Speaking of non-responders. My longest (previously best) friend had her birthday yesterday. Several texts over the weekend to see what she's doing for birthday, etc. Responded once to another part of the text but didn't answer my birthday question. I texted HBD and asked if she wanted to do a call over the weekend. I can see when she reads the text and ZERO response. No heart, thumbs up, thank you, I'll let you know, etc. NOTHING.
I'm really tired of her not responding to my text messages. When she came for the weekend, she was actively on her phone responding to people. Even took 2 phone calls while we were out. Nothing particularly rude, but absolutely connected to her phone.
I know she spend the weekend with a mutual friend and she initially texted me about something while they were together. She wasn't driving, wasn't doing anything but shopping/food. Just like the weekend when we were together. No reason to not respond.
She's been doing this for a few years now. Is this just "how she is" or is it just with me? I think it's rude. And annoying. And hurtful. I'm tired of people acting like this. Such a simple thing to be a friend or courteous at least.
Is she still mad at me for canceling our birthday boxes to each other? I did it because she phoned it in for years and I spent time and a lot of money giving her thoughtful gifts. I was tired of it and the last box she gave me was ridiculous. I won't re-hash the details, but there's no way she didn't know. I told her, let's spend the money and time to see each other instead of random gifts we collect during the year.
She's been funny about my birthday ever since. Not arranging our birthday call (which we've done for decades). The first year not texting until almost midnight. The next year just HBD and an emoji.
I'm going to be direct and say she isn't emotionally mature. I see it in other ways too. We're in our late 50s. Let's not play HS games. If you're upset, we can talk about it. Otherwise, big girl panties please.
Anyway, turning (turned) into a rant so let's leave it there. It was a double hit over the last few days -- bookclub and former bestie so I got on a soapbox.
Have a good day. Fingers crossed on this hike. Fun afternoon with friends ahead too.
Later gators.
No comments:
Post a Comment